Monday, July 23, 2007

What Worked, What Didn't, Part II

I often think of the world like this: Dentist visits are never as bad as I imagine they will be and little, no-problem procedures by surgeons are always way worse.

I don't know what that means exactly but here's how it relates to my recent book tour. I had lots of positive media (relatively speaking) and as a newbie I thought that meant a a lot of people would show up at the book signings. Of course that didn't happen.

We sent postcards to places like Barnes and Noble and Borders with a note saying we were doing X media in that area. Did it as an afterthought and assumed it would get lost in the mail. Wrong. From those postcards chain stores got the books in bookstores without hardly any prompting. Who knew.

One other thing. I did four In-Studio interviews (three TV and one radio). Each time the interviewer clutched a three-page question and answers sheet we sent prior to the interview. They worked off it at each break. One was even willing to say "on a Monday morning it's great you did our job for us.''

This is a must do.

Michael LaLumiere
www.whyiscraterlakesoblue.com

No comments: