Tuesday, June 12, 2007

But What About The Children's Books, Michael?

My goal in beginning this experiment was to publish children's books. Well I had to learn how to create a book first which took some time. But when I finally got the children's books printed I realized there was a giant hole in my strategy.

How in the heck do you market children's books?

Unfortunately, marketing children's books is a pound-the-pavement, reading-to-kids-in-school and stopping-at-stores-one-at-a-time sort of business. That's way down the list of my things I do best. And the ugly truth was I didn't want to do those things. And my partner wouldn't do them either.

Oops.

That's when I came up with the Crater Lake strategy. If I could make "Why Is Crater Lake So Blue?'' a successful novel then it would be much easier to do some piggy-back type marketing of the children's books.

That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.

The good news is I've found marketing this novel much more in my skill set than the children's books. This strategy better work because we're finishing up the third children's book and it's good. but I need to get it into the marketplace to give it a chance.

Michael LaLumiere
www.whyiscraterlakesoblue.com

No comments: