Sunday, June 24, 2007

Being In The Book Business Cuts Down On Your Writing Time

The countdown stands at six days to the release of the "Why Is Crater Lake So Blue?'' novel, although I think Amazon is selling the book now. And about 13 days to the start of the mini-book tour.

I was trying to remember the last time I'd written anything. After being amazed I could spit out 85,000 words in a relatively short time I now haven't written anything in quite a while. I find myself interested again in starting the process of a another novel. But I don't find it SO interesting that I'll do it without some confirmation from critics or the marketplace that it would be a meaningful endeavor.

I'm not into writing "for myself.'' The thing that interests me about writing a novel is writing it well enough for it to be considered credible, professional work that could appear in a bookstore. Anything short of that and I'm not much interested.

However, having said that I think a recent post on this blog is what writing should be about. The author said he was quite happy that his children's book was loved at his school. I think that's a success. If you can write and make the people around you happy that seems to be well worth the effort to me.

But back to my original point. it's very difficult to be in the book business and be a writer, too.

Michael LaLumiere
www.whyiscraterlakesoblue.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrestled with the "success" question a lot when I was writing and then selling my book. For me it boils down to whether success is determined by external or internal drivers. If other people like it, give it good reviews, buy it, will I consider it to be a success? Or is it that I wrote the best story I could, and gave it enough polish (editing, layout, cover design) to make it a quality, professional product? For my first book, the success point was definitely in the latter zone. For the book I'm currently writing, the point seems to be somewhere more equally between the two.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the road trip.