Friday, May 18, 2007

Just Because You're Self-Publishing Doesn't Mean You Have To Act Like An Amateur

I belong to some lists that have to do with self-publishing issues. Self-publishing started out on the fringe and it's easy to tell a fair number of its practitioners are still out there.

At my advanced age I'm sometimes surprised but hardly ever shocked. I was shocked today when I read that many self-publishers believe it is just fine to misrepresent themselves in press releases to the media in hopes of pulling a fast one and getting a book reviewed. The idea is that if an editor knows that the author is sending in the press release about his or her own book the editor won't take them seriously. So they make up a name and pretend they're someone else handling the publicity.

Oh My God.

The argument is they're just trying to get publicity any way they can and the publishing world is already against them so all is fair ....

The self-publishing world is never going to get the respect it needs if people act like silly amateurs. If you can't put together a book that will sell being dishonest is not going to help.

Michael LaLumiere
www.whyiscraterlakesoblue.com

No comments: