Thursday, February 8, 2007

Once You Commit To A Press Run Everything Is Serious Business

So, we're looking overseas for an offset printer to do our children's book.

During this whole process the best helper I've had is Google. It almost never fails me. No matter how specific a question I have or how broad an issue I need training on, I type the words in and I instantly have good leads in finding help.

This is because the self-publishing business is getting so big. There are many highly-qualified experts out there with websites that list many helpful articles and tips. There are also list groups. The best one I've found is self-publishing@yahoogroups.com. I wish I'd found it a year ago. Do these searches and you won't have to learn everything the hard way.

Through these websites and groups you can get an already screened list of potential print vendors.

When using an overseas printer you'll either contact a broker here in the U.S. or deal directly with a rep from the company. Dealing direct saves you money. A broker saves you gray hairs. But as you might suspect you'll pay more for that help. You'll pay nearly 2/3rds more if you use a U.S. printer.

Downsides for printing overseas are the potential communication and shipping problems. Plus it takes two to three months from the time you hand over the file until the time you get books on your driveway.

Like many other industries, China is taking over the offset printing business. I had my first two books done in South Korea.

Something you may not be thinking about is formatting. In a children's picture book an experienced illustrator can do most of the formatting. But artists aren't book formatters. That's not their expertise. In my case I've had good luck because the artists I worked with were patient and could handle most file issues. But if that printer doesn't get a problem-free file they're going to charge you. Because of the sketchy communication you really don't know if you caused the problem or they did. Either way you're going to pay for it.

I suggest you take the file from your artist and have a professional print formatter do the work. They'll also probably find some content errors because of your inexperience. That's a good thing. But again it's expensive. If you can't pay for professional services don't publish a high-quality book.

One of the things that constantly comes up on the self-publishing blogs is self-publishers asking for advice on how to do things themselves and for shortcuts.

We've been over this right? The book will absolutely fail if you're under capitalized. Don't do it. If you do a job a professional should be doing it just won't work. I know.

Michael LaLumiere

No comments: