Monday, January 22, 2007

Update On Self-Publishing Projects

As I write this, a pallet of my "Birthday Snow'' books is in a truck somewhere between Los Angeles and Phoenix. The books had been in a container on a huge ship crossing the Pacific. I'll have them available for sale next week.

The next children's picture book, "A Song For A Giraffe'' is sitting on Ginger Nielson's drawing table being illustrated. It's going to look great. Perhaps in a couple weeks we can post an example of what it's going to look like.

Then there's the novel - "Why is Crater Lake So Blue.'' A designer is working on the cover. A copy editor is working on the text. I'm suppose to be figuring out the marketing plan.

I haven't done any marketing for the children's books. More than a 100 of the first picture book - "Princess Caitlin's Tiara'' - have been sold. Just by placing them in a couple independent book stores and using them for fundraising with a couple non-profit organizations. But no serious effort really.

I can't imagine anything harder than marketing a self-published children's picture book. I don't do school visits, etc. However, I think I can take a good swing at marketing the novel. And use that success - hopefully - as a platform for introducing the children's book. We'll see. Everybody out there in marketing is shaking their head no.

We'll see.

Until then my young niece Morgan is my VP of sales and she's doing just fine.

Michael LaLumiere

No comments: