Thursday, January 18, 2007

I've Got The Illustrations, I Have The Words, Now What

A lot of beginning self-publishers think the Holy Grail is getting their book on Amazon.

Nope. Just another sad bus station on the selling-your-own-book highway. Almost anybody with an ISBN number can get listed on Amazon with a picture of their very own book cover. Amazon has several ways a self-publisher can do this. But the bottom line is if your target market doesn't know it's there, well, you'll be one of about a million people selling one book a month.

That gets me back to my first publishing attempt. As a newbie I was intrigued by LuLu.com's marketing pitch. Low upfront fees and they have a website where they will sell your book for you. Now there are a thousand print-on-demand (POD) shops and they almost all offer that service.

But it's the same deal as Amazon. If you don't have a very specific niche where you can tell all your built-in customers where to buy, you have a significant problem. Nobody is going to these websites to casually buy a book. So please don't think that will happen. The only way you sell books is by a strong, well-financed marketing plan. Honest. Or if you have that built-in market.

If your doing a full-color children's book the correct reason to use a company like LuLu is for testing. PODs are good places to do many kinds of books but not a full-color children's book. Not yet. The quality isn't there and neither is the price. But it is a cheap way to find out what you did wrong.

But don't make the mistake that I did.

I needed an ISBN number. And at that time I wasn't clear on all the nuances surrounding ISBN numbers. LuLu offered to sell me one so I wouldn't have to figure it out on my own. So I bought one. And the smart guy that I am, I didn't read the fine print.

Turns out LuLu was selling me the number but I didn't own it. I could only use that ISBN number if LuLu was selling the book. They absolutely did not make that clear to me and it really pissed me off because I didn't realize it until I went to publish that book on my own. Caused me problems. That was intentionally disingenious.

There's a lot of that going around in the self-publishing world. That's why you need to fully understand important steps like getting ISBN numbers.

Michael LaLumiere

2 comments:

Joey said...

Michael, thank you for sharing your experiences, I hope it will help some people. Last year, I was going to self-publish my first storybook that I wrote & illustrated. Fortunately, I was picked up by a small, local publisher at the last minute.

It was a good experience, but being with a small publisher is very similar to self-publishing. Since its release, I have sold two copies on Amazon and over 1200 copies via my own initiatives.

The Sun City Country Club Management Team said...

1,200 copies that's pretty darn good. I'd like to know how you did it. thanks, Michael LaLumiere