Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Self-Publishing Journey Part I

Hello

My Name is Michael LaLumiere. My intention with this blog is to help people who need more information when it comes to Self-Publishing. I had some advantages going in but still had to learn a lot the hard way. In fact, I'm still learning the hard way.

My first book - Princess Caitlin's Tiara - came out last month. The second - Birthday Snow - arrives in two weeks. In Spring, a new children's book and a novel will be added to the catalog.

First some rules. No grading me on grammar. I write fast and loose for blogs. Even at my best I aggressively resist proper punctuation and grammar. The editor working my novel made it very clear that she understands my unwillingness to put in commas but if I expect stores to sell the book I must allow her to fix my whimsical attempts at punctuation and capitalization. Fine.

Feel free to ask questions. But do so at your own peril. The main problem I see with people self-publishing is their unwillingness to face reality. Regarding questions I'm going to consider myself Mr. Reality. I'm going to write a segment every couple days or so. I will gratuitously mention my books and website http://www.staggerleebooks.com/ from time to time.

Now for the advantages I had going into this project. I was a newspaper editor for 18 years and know something about writing and editing. I have a graphics background so I've worked with lots of artists. Working in the newspaper industry i learned some nuts and bolts about the process of publishing. The newspaper business is brutal. If you learn nothing else from it you should get a heaping helping of humility although there are still people in that business thinking they're the smartest people around despite the fact that they're obliviously riding a dying industry into the ground.

But probably the biggest advantage I have is I'm retired and don't mind burning through some money to see what happens.

Which brings us to the first test for people who want to self-publish.

Are you thinking you're going to make money at it?

If you say yes or hesistate at all before you say I don't know, OUT OF THE POOL. Five percent of self-publishers can make a living off it. If you think you're one of those five percent you should talk with Mr. Reality.

I'll write again the day after Christmas. Thanks, Michael LaLumiere

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We like the new blog. We will keep a eye on it. This will be our second attempt to get the comment on the page. Merry Christmas

Morgan and Sue